The Scientist's View

1.01.2007

foggy weather.....

Given that the weather today is much like spring, it reminds me of a wet and wild afternoon when we had rugby match against the Marines in 2005. In the picture, Berto (on the edge) and I (center) are taking a breather; the Marines are playing grab-ass in the background.


Although this stretch of weather is rather warm from a historical perspective, the foggy weather is quite common this time of year which is often associated with cool air settling over the warm, rain-soaked ground. Interestingly, we will not see any cold air for several weeks (at least) and this is very consistent with the strong subtropical flow from the eastern Pacific, also known as the El Nino. For the east coast, this phenomenon often leads to elevated numbers of coastal lows (we have seen alot this year....with several in October which is rare), an elevation in average temps due to the inability of polar air to drive south, and a strong reduction in hurricanes making landfall which is reflective of a broad flow aloft from west to east. This cycle is remarkably strong this year and may be a fixture for the entire winter and spring. Which is bad for snow lovers (such as myself). I noted when walking my pooch this morning that the daffodils have already begun to emerge. This must be a record (by several weeks) for earliest emergence. Combined with the precocious cherries in bloom all around town, it is beginning to weigh upon me that El Nino may ruin my dreams of having a few nice snowstorms this winter and prevent me from dusting off my skis. On the upside, when the weather is in the 40s or 50s, my evening wait for the bus much easier when considering the ambient temps could/should be in the 20s and 30s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home