The Scientist's View

9.20.2007

OUT???

Jeez...I thought I was OK with being gay. But I have had to butch it up for two days with a bunch of breeders (real breeders in the agronomy aspect) and I am a bit lost.
I had to tour Kansas with a bunch of breeders the past two days and walk fields and talk about traits. I found it very revealing in many aspects.


One aspect is that I learned ALOT. Quite interesting to see how a potential field product makes it to the market. Another was how out of place that I felt. I have been pretty open about being a homo. But today, I was peppered by questions about being married and kids. Not being 25 or 30, you cannot slide by with anything. Marriage and family are the reality in the heartland. Oh what have I gotten myself into?

Luckily I know about fishing and hiking and rugby. That buys time. But how much? Will I be the rarity in my world....a gay guy who likes it out in the field??

It will all come out in due time. But I was not ready to come out today to a bunch of hard core heteros. Gay pride yes.....but sensibility also. I really confronted how hard it is to be a homo in the heartland.

3 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Good luck my friend...good luck. As we know, the same percentage of gay men exist everywhere (well almost)...its just a matter of how comfortable you are being open in the setting you are in.
Welcome to Iowa.
bleh.

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hottie!

That's a tough situation, and I've had to work through that even here in Atlanta. Working in a small conservative company like my old job or in a large conservative company like my new job, it's hard to tell if you come out, what will be their reactions. It's the only thing you can't control in that situation.

PS - I'm glad I found your blog. Sorry I couldn't make the beach, but we'll have to make plans soon before the holidays for our next guy's weekend. *BIG BEAR HUG*

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

>Will I be the rarity in my world....a gay guy who likes it out in the field??


I'm finding that there are more of us than you might expect. The old saw seems to be true. We really are everywhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home