The Scientist's View

1.20.2007

Flash


My hubby was very good to me over the holidays in many different ways. For Christmas, he got me two of the most coolest, bestest presents ever!

1. I have attached a still from one of my favorite camp movies of all time, namely, Flash Gordon. I have been shocked to find that most of the younger generation has not seen nor even heard of this movie. Between Flash Gordon (which dad took me to see in the theater), Battlestar Galatica (Richard and Dirk.....mercy! and dad took me to see in the theater and also came on TV as a series), and Buck Rogers (on TV Tuesday nights at 8pm with Gil Gerard) - I was destined to be a gay geek at the tender age of 8 or 9. Anyways, Kevin got me a Flash Gordon T-shirt (same as in the attached pic)for Christmas and he got it in Cha-Cha small so my rack looks great!

2. Kevin also found this interesting little gadget at Brookstone. BTW, I generally tend to shun gadgets other than a cork screw. However this little piece of technology is fantastic and has changed my life! It is a square LCD screen about 4in x 4in and it shows the current weather conditions, the forecast for the day and also a forecast for the next 4 days. Push little button on the side and you can toggle through 4 other cities nearby (I get Potomac, Ocean City, Baltimore, Fredicksburg). Best part, if I travel and take it with me, it will then update for that city and 4 cities in the vicinity. (It uses some odd band of radio frequency and there are no advertisements!!!). Now, I ask you (after reading my satellite post) how cool is that? Plus it has the correct time.

Since Kevin does not believe in having the correct time displayed anywhere in our house, all of the clocks are ahead by some variation of 5 and 10 minutes. And Mr. Bus Driver of the 127 is always leaving Silver Spring at a different time (if he is feeling good, it is early, - if there is baby mama drama going on and he has to "take care of business" on his cell phone then we sometimes leave a little late) - so before I got this handy dandy little piece of technology, I could end up waiting 10 minutes for the bus when I thought I was running behind (my clock triangulation isn't so good in the morning) and then if Mr. Bus Driver was getting an earful from baby mama then I had to wait another 5 minutes on the bus with him muttering "Bitch" or "Damn Ho" every few seconds with loud squawking coming from the cell phone).


NOW - I can see what the real time is and I never have to wait for the bus (and I have learned to read Mr. Bus Driver's mood so I can always wait outside the bus if he is "distracted") - what an added bonus! But wait, there is MORE! Also I don't have to try to reason with Kevin (I am the logical one of the pair - he is a Gemini and resultingly has at least 5 voices keeping him company at any given point and all of them apparently do not run on the same schedule) that if all the clocks are the correct time, then you don't have to triangulate the time using five different clocks in the house which all have different times on them. But the voices will not allow that - they each want a clock for themselves.

It is enough to drive me to drink. But with my new little gadget, those problems have gone the way of the dinosaurs!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home