The Scientist's View

2.19.2007

DC cultural event


I just got back from a cultural day in DC. Some of the boys on the rugby team and I have decided that we need to have cultural experiences. Our last event was a tour about the National Gallery of Art. Today was a wonderful surprise - The National Portrait Gallery. Absolutely fantastic - the art collection was diverse and fantastic. Highlights include:
1. A photo of a couple in Kentucky in 1976. It was the embodiment of the American dream.
2. A really fun portrait of Bill Clinton - I thought of sex immediately.
3. A de Kooning (Elaine) portrait in green of Kennedy.
4. The portrait contest from 2006 which was more interesting than any biennial going on - such creativity and execution. I was enthralled.
5. Wonderful collection of the 1950s New York school - It was a clean and tidy example of the progression of abstraction during the 50s.
6. A glorious refashioning of a classic marble Federalist building - I cannot wait to see what is done with the main hall when it is finished. A true gem.
7. The people - families with kids everywhere. Kids are wearying in art museum - but I thought it was wonderful that families took the time to come down and see art. Money quote about the lite-bright display of a portrait of a naked couple (it was glorious) by a mom to her two young daughters - "What do you guys think about the lite-brights?" Its refreshing to see a mother not obsessed about the cock and tits and view the portrait on its merits. What was most fabulous and disturbing about the lite-bright display of the naked couple? Its title - "Mom and Dad". There is a family dinner I would LOVE to attend.

The day started with early drinks at Kramerbooks. The cast: Chaka (rugger), Delicate Flower (one half of the Young Lovers and rugger), Josh (delicate flower's stag hag and rugger), K-Dawg (from work) and me. K-Dawg was bold with a G&T before noon (duly noted!) and the rest did Bloodys. Then off to culture. Then Sangria and Tapas at La Tosca (money!). Then over to the gay mile for 2 dollar rail drinks at JRs. K-Dawg had never been to a gay bar - so we popped his cherry and JRs is perfect for that. K-Dawg seemed to have a good time. Those bitches are still going - out at Logan Tavern for dinner - I had to come home. Bubba had to work today and couldn't come out (boo hiss).

What a great weekend!!! I am lucky to have found such a good group that is fun and extremely sharp! I am sad to see the resumption of the work week. Its probably good that I don't have a trust fund - I'd be under the knife for a liver transplant by now. The March event is the Phillips and I look forward to see how they have reworked the collection. Also I love that we had a group of gays and straights for a cultural outing - it is what gay liberation was all about. K-Dawg (hetero) had a money quote about hearing about gay sex: "This is where the rubber meets the road. I am a liberal and I have to embrace this."

Could HRC adopt this? Instead of swilling cocktails and whoring themselves to Congress, could the have a "Rubber meets the Road" initiative? Could they actually sharpen their teeth and say that it is not enough to give money (read: subsidy)- but can straights and homos go out and talk about what is important in their lives and have it be a learning experience. I love hearing about Josh's horrible dates with chicks and I want him to appreciate the complexities of gay marriage. After all, as K-Dawg has pointed out - "I am a liberal and need to put it to the test". I love hanging out with guys, straight, gay, whatever. But I am not sure that the HRC has that objective in mind. I am not sure that their objective is pure - i.e. that we are blind to one's sexual orientation. I think their intent is solely identity politics. And Chaka discussed this at some length - the content is basically - what happens when the identity politics gets divorced from the individual??

I hope to hear this tomorrow at the State of the Movement address. How does the HRC manage their identity politics from the individual. Gay rights is not here to be seperate. We, gays and straights, ought to be equal. The rugby team and also our cultural group is the ideal - we share laughs and offer each other novel insights- not as gay and straight - but as guys who make different choices. Some like snatch and some like cock. It is just a detail, not a defining characteristic.

2 Comments:

At 3:04 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Yeah...I've always said the the rugby team does more to advance gay/straight relations than HRC ever does...

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website must give you a clear message which has
a goal-oriented direction, setting you apart from your competitors.
This business will probably be operated from the owner's home and is going to be done entirely on the internet.
I have experienced my share of scams, and have actually done
a great job avoiding being taken for a sucker and I'm here to tell you, Ameriplan is not a
scam.

Also visit my web page: blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home