The Scientist's View

2.23.2007

What does both mean?

In interesting piece in the WSJ today about the 2010 census. The planners have decided to simplify the census to 6 questions.

In doing a field test for the proposed simplified census form, Question 3 asks about gender and asks for people to mark one box. Interestingly 0.05% of this field test filled in both. This, to the census takers, was a bit odd. But what happens if 0.05% of the 300 million check both boxes? That means there are 150,000 people that either cannot read, are being difficult, or most likely - feel divided in their gender identity. While 0.05% does not seem like alot, 150,000 is a moderately sized city and that rate of dual gender identity would probably be higher if the person were asked the following: Male, Female, or Both.

I have read that in the past, people who were born with indeterminate genetalia were effectively feminized. Longer term studies of these people suggested that gender identity was in conflict all through their lives which suggests that gender identity is partially determined before puberty and before the pernicious effects of society (boys like trucks, girls like dolls). What constitutes indeterminate genetalia should be given more visibility such that parents, when confronted with this dilemma (what do I do), might have a standard that is based on social and medical science and not on personal bias.

This brings up an interesting point that I have been considering since the State of the Movement meeting at HRC. Mara Keisling, for the National Center for Transgender Equality, was both humerous and pointed in her views on the struggle for transgender equality. She spoke initially on the changing of "mediated access" where the organization is restricted access by some person to "collaborative access" where the NCTE could use established gay rights organizations and gay allies to assist in gaining access to people in power. And this transition has not been as painless as it ought to be.

This led me to think later about my own bias. Am I trans-phobic? Is trans-phobia any different than racism or homophobia or anti-Semitism or anti-radical Islam? I must confess I love drag shows - love, love, love them. But that is probably the point that Mara cringes at. My exposure to trans-issues is limited to a Saturday night show all boozed up and tossing out dollars to fierce drag queens. But would I have a trans-person as a friend? Would I be biased if I had to work with a trans-person? Would I make derisive jokes if I saw a group of trans-people having lunch? Do I have different views of MTF or FTM persons? Is a trans-identity as strong as a gay identity, lesbian identity, bi-identity, straight identity?

Sadly, I have to say that I am not as liberal as I thought. I have to confess that I think of trans-persons as different than gays or lesbians. And I probably would continue to do that had I not heard Mara speak. In my own assessment, I mentally marginalize trans-people the way that heteros marginalize me for being gay.

This self-criticism has revealed to me that I ought to consider the totality of person who happens to have a different view of their gender identity than I do. They are a person first and foremost. And I ought not view them in any way that I would take affront to if someone else were to take the same view of me (sorry for that very complex construction). So for that reason alone, Mara's presentation - full of pith and pointed comments - has really made me think that I have alot of work to do in my acceptance of the spectrum of people within the queer collective. And that is one of many highlights from the State of the Movement.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home