The Scientist's View

1.21.2007

To snow or not to snow

I took out my sweet little pooch this morning to do his duty. Before going out, the weather looked promising for snow. It looked cold, the clouds are the right color of grey, and things looked very calm (consistent with an over-running event that is setting up).
However, looks can be deceiving. When I walked out the door with Linus (my dog), I immediately said out loud, "Its not going to snow".
1) It felt too warm (not enough humidity - when it is in the upper 20s and very humid, the cold penetrates to your core. You KNOW it is going to snow when you feel that. However this morning I was comfortable walking around the block in a cotton sweatshirt and no gloves).
2) It did not no smell like snow. I have that odd gift to smell snow - and this morning the air smelled like air in Takoma usually does, a faint whiff of the ghetto.


But, upon returning to the house to look at the weather maps and reports, things are shaping up nicely for a few inches of snow this evening. There is snow from WV across lower Ohio and Indiana and a nice shield of rain south of that.

So who knows what will happen. The only forecast I would make today is that something frozen will fall out of the sky and it will be more than a dusting and less than 6 inches and probably end with a coating of ice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home