The Scientist's View

5.23.2007

What's going on...

Some of my more loyal readers may have wondered why I have been taking some time between posts. Fear not, I still enjoy my blogging!

The gaps are due to the fact that I have been looking for a new job, which is like having a part-time job.Any spare time that I have has been sucked up in the job hunt.

I presently work at a research institute up in Rockville. It runs like a small version of a University - we have faculty and technicians and post-docs and such - we just lack hot 20 year old undergrad studs walking around. Its a very geeky place and hotties are very few and very far between - but I do enjoy the job and I can secretly geek out at work. Kinsey-1 will confirm that!

My one suggestion to HR to improve the working environment: hire the Maryland wrestling team to have keggers every Friday afternoon in our cafeteria in singlets.

Anyways - I have been on the prowl for a new job since things at the Institute are changing and it was a natural time to start thinking about my next move.

So I found a job! It is for a private company and I will run a lab supervising four researchers. The work sounds very challenging and engaging and they are going to pay me VERY well. Plus I get lots of cool toys to play with in lab AND I continue working in the same area that I have been trained in.

However, there is one small detail about it that is not exactly ideal:

The job is in Iowa.

Alas, I will be packing up Bubba, Linus, Kidogo (the cat) and moving the family to the heartland. Bubba was in open revolt of the idea until I agreed to get him a huge flat screen TV (one like Butch and the Colonel have) along with extensive satellite packages and a man space in the basement. There was some discussion about hiring an Iowa State baseball player to clean house in a jock too. We'll have to see about that one.

Let's just say that Bubba is now actively researching the rental market in Des Moines.

I put alot of consideration into whether this is the right thing to do but Jimbo's recent post (OMG Shoes) covers the main reason why I feel that I had to look outside DC (beyond the fact that there aren't alot of jobs here for plant geneticists): This place is just too damn expensive and I don't want to pay HUGE rent for the rest of my life.

So the Scientist's View will be moving to the Midwest in July. I'm planning to do alot of fun stuff in DC for blog filler in case things in Iowa are a bit slow.

For the weekend:

Saturday-
I'm looking forward to seeing my rugger friends (finally) this weekend. Every weekend this Spring I have been working or traveling or job-hunting so I have not gotten to catch up with my rugger peeps.

Sunday-
Delicate Flower, Hot Mama, Bubba, one of DFs buddies from Colorado , and I are doing a fun day trip to Lewis Beach. Hot Mama has told me that she is wearing a candy apple red bikini! Maybe Cory on the rugby team will go with us since we will need a straight guy to truly admire her bathing suit! Love Cory.

I've gotten too fat to wear my banana hammock so I might go with the hetero baggy shorts look. Bubba has a couple square cut suits to choose from and all make his legs look money.
I haven't a clue what DF will wear (will a thong be able to contain his ample manliness?)...but if he brings his camera - I can post some photos.

I'll be posting regularly again from this weekend on-ward!

1 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Mike said...

Dear God...Iowa
(Idiots Out Walking Around)
Congrats! I don't think I could that. Enjoy those long, cold midwestern winters.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home