The Scientist's View

5.24.2007

Two sides of the coin

I love comments on the blogs - can be more revealing than the blog itself!

From The Barometer:

Dear God...Iowa
(Idiots Out Walking Around)
Congrats! I don't think I could [do] that. Enjoy those long, cold midwestern winters.


and from Gordo (love the name!!!)


Des Moines has an active gay bar scene - lots of great people and not a lot of attitude. Oh, and it's cheap! I live in DC but travel to that area frequently. You won't miss the district.


I put these comments up because they do represent the two opinions that are going on in my head. I think that Des Moines will be a good place to live and I look forward to NOT being in the District....I didn't even put my Takoma missives in the post yesterday. But I will miss my friends here and, more generally, the East Coast way of living.

When I moved to grad school at UC-Davis, it took me a year to get used to the weather in Northern California (and I was never comfortable with it) and I never got used to the people. I hope that Iowa will not be as severe a change as California was. I plan to make lots of snow angels in the winter and get the NFL package on satellite (the Iowa State wrestlers will need something to watch when I host keg parties for them!!!).

One thing Gordo said is definitely right on the money: Des Moines is CHEAP!

1 Comments:

At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww yeah, keepin' it real, OLD SKOOL STYLE!

Falwell and the politicians who use homosexuality as a wedge issue are simply doubly evil: if it isn't bad enought to bash people because they are different and an easy target, what's worse is that they are simply using it for gain, and may not even feel that negative towards gays, and oftentimes even employ gays and know more than a few. This is my problem with gay Republicans: they follow a party that clearly takes advantage of a minority group for their own personal gain, which is to me more evil than simply hating gays.

I think there has been some overly gleeful bashing of Falwell on some gay blogs, but while we complain or celebrate his death, we aren't gaining from it as he did with his bashing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home